Tips for Small Scale Moves and Finding the Best Small Moving Companies
Looking for a cost-effective, safe, and convenient way to move a grandfather clock? Or maybe you need to move your belonging to/from a studio apartment? Such a small-scale move demands a specific set of moving techniques and practices. In fact, all moving scenarios are unique and the relocation requirements differ. For example, the best practices for moving a heavy piece of furniture (freight) across the ocean are wildly different from moving an office desk across town.
You need to plan your move according to the characteristics of your items—and find a shipping company that is well-equipped and experienced to handle the specific type of move. This is especially important for small scale moves. Why so? Most typical moving companies don’t handle small moves (or mini moves)—and if they do, you’re forced to pay a fixed price similar to large scale moves. The common reasoning is that relocating a few pieces of furniture, or specialty items, isn’t as lucrative as moving entire homes.
To cut on costs while ensuring the safety of items in transit, you need to employ the services of small moving companies. With this in mind, read on for useful tips and tricks on making small scale moves—including how to find the best small movers.
How Plan for Small Scale Moves
First things first; do your items qualify as ‘small-scale moves’? Before you start packing your items and making arrangements with small load movers, ensure you fit the bill. According to most movers, any shipment with a cumulative weight of less than 2,000 lbs (roughly 1,000 kg.) is considered a small load. Some examples of moves that often fall within this category include one-bedroom moves, college dorm room moves, and relocating specialty items (e.g., piano, king size beds, couches, or a dining table and chairs). Once you’re sure of the type of move, consider the following:
- Packing for Small Scale Moves: Most of the time—but depending on your items—you should be able to appropriately pack your items for shipping. Get a hold of the appropriate packing material, including sturdy boxes, moving blankets, padding material, and packing tape. While your at it, keep tabs on the weight and dimensions of your items. But remember, never overestimate your packing skills. If the items are either too expensive or too valuable, it’s best to leave the packing to experienced movers. Small moving companies such as Ship Smart offer on-site packing to optimize the safety of your items right from your home or business.
- Determine the Moving Timeline: When do you want the items shipped? Is the small-scale move urgent, or do you have time on your hands? Depending on your needs, a small move can take a day, a week, or even months. If you’re on a time crunch, Ship Smart offers expedited service options. And if time is not an issue, you can take advantage of the deferred service option and save some real money.
- How Far is the Moving Distance? The cost and timeline of a small-scale move are often determined by the distance. But whether it’s a long-distance or international, it’s faster, safer, and more efficient to hire professional small movers.
- What is Your Budget? As much as the safety of your goods is the top priority, your budget cannot be ignored. For this reason, it’s important to request an estimate before hiring a small mover (more on this below).
- DIY Vs Professional Small Load Movers: Are you capable of handling all your packing and shipping requirements? Do you have the energy, skill, and time it takes to successfully make small moves? If not, finding reliable small moving companies is a good idea.
How do Small Movers Determine the Moving Cost?
When it comes to cost-saving, small load movers such as Ship Smart are the best way to go. There’s no hidden costs or minimum weight requirement—you only pay for the items your moving. So how do these small moving companies calculate the moving cost? When you request an estimate with Ship Smart, the figure you get is determined by several factors including active discounts. But at the core, the small moving cost is based on:
- Distance: Does the destination of your small move cross into another state or even country? What is the estimated travel distance in miles?
- Shipment Weight: Keep in mind that most full-service movers charge for minimum weight (usually 2,000 lbs.). This means that you may end up paying the same amount for a 300-pound office desk as someone moving a studio apartment. To avoid such unnecessary costs, you’re better off with a small load mover with no minimum weight requirements.
- Type of Moving Services Requested: Full-service delivery or curbside service? Expedited or deferred service? DIY packing or customized professional packing? Ship Smart offers services that work best with your budget.
Finding the Best Small Movers
There are tons of small movers in the industry—but they’re not all created equal. You need to partner with a company that meets your needs. This is why it’s important to weigh your options before settling on one small mover. Check their record with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), American Moving and Storage Association (AMSA), experience, customer reviews, and insurance options. For the frugal movers, you can also request quotes from several companies and compare their value for money.
If you don’t have the energy, time, or expertise to carry out a small-scale move, Ship Smart is here to deliver a seamless moving experience. We aim to make the moving process as simple, easy, safe, and affordable as possible. We are able to deliver on our promise of 100% satisfaction by leveraging over 2 decades of experience as small move specialists. As a licensed small mover with an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and great online reviews, you’re assured of exemplary industry standards and user-friendly service delivery. Request a free estimate today and let us help you make your small-scale move with little-to-no hassle.